Plan Your Visit
Learn about upcoming free events, free Sunday talks, and donation-based programs:
We are usually open from 10am to 6pm and even if closed, the person at the front desk can open the store and make a sale.
We look forward to sharing our new, improved garden with you after renovations have been completed!
Perfect for walking meditation, contemplation or reading a book, this peaceful space is open to the public.
Framed by the red leaves of the Japanese Maple in fall and blooming roses in summer, a golden Stupa, symbol of enlightened mind rises above a small waterfall. Housed under red eaves, a prayer wheel activates billions of prayers with each rotation, while brightly colored fish dart in and out among water lilies.
Open by appointment between 10am – 6pm daily. Please call or email us to make an appointment.
We are a vegetarian kitchen, please note that no meat is allowed on the premises.
Guide for New Students
Welcome to the Nyingma Institute! Here are a few guidelines to help you orient yourself to the environment and customs here. More questions? Please call the Front Desk at (510) 809-1000 between 10am – 7pm. You can also email us at email@example.com
- We ask that you remove your shoes as you enter the buildings. You can place them in the shoe racks at the entrances.
- Please finish any food or drinks before entering the meditation rooms that serve as our classrooms.
- It’s also considered respectful to avoid pointing your feet at the altars in the meditation rooms.
- Please walk clockwise around the prayer wheel and stupa in the garden.
- Please treat sacred mantra, text, or images respectfully — avoid placing them on the ground, stepping over them, etc.
- The timing for our workshops is usually as follows, unless otherwise noted – Friday sessions are from 7 – 9 pm, Saturday sessions are from 10 am – 4:45 pm and include a vegetarian buffet lunch.
- Workshop participants may arrange to stay overnight in one of the Institute’s comfortable guest rooms for an additional $125 per night.
Getting Here and Parking:
- We have a small private parking lot for use by our students and retreatants. Stay on Hearst Avenue until you pass Highland Place, then turn left. There is a handicapped spot further up the driveway after you enter the parking lot.
- The closest BART station is Downtown Berkeley, which is a 30 minute walk and partially uphill. If you are visiting for a retreat and have bags with you, we recommend taking a taxi or bus. Please check Google Maps for the buses that stop nearby.
- The closest airports are Oakland International and San Francisco International airports, both of which connect directly to BART (at Coliseum and San Francisco International Airport stops, respectively.)
- If you are arriving by plane, we encourage you to either arrange a shuttle from the airport (we recommend Bay Porter) or take BART to Downtown Berkeley and a taxi from there to the Nyingma Institute.