Charming rooms in exceptionally quiet, vegetarian environment, perfect for graduate students, visiting scholars, and serious students, starting at $1,600/month. Located a block away from UC Berkeley at the foothills of Highland and Hearst, we offer a quiet and reserved environment ideal for focused work, reflection, and introspection. Rooms offer beautiful views of the bay and Golden Gate Bridge, or our peaceful meditation garden. Furnished private and shared rooms are available for individuals, with shared kitchen, bathrooms, and showers. Wifi and all utilities are included.
Established in 1972, the Nyingma Institute is a respected Tibetan Buddhist learning center which offers classes and retreats to the general public, in addition to housing staff and dedicated community members. You need not be Buddhist, but should be respectful of our spiritual focus and the quietude that is sought by our retreatants and students. Please note that we are a vegetarian, substance-free environment. We require that no meat or alcohol be consumed or stored here. Kitchen use is limited. No pets, no overnight guests, no loud music or instruments. Credit and background checks required. We ask for first month, last month, and security deposit.
- Rooms start at $1600/month.
- 6 month minimum.
- Located 1 block away from the north side of campus.
- Rooms are furnished.
- Bathrooms and showers are shared. Kitchen use is limited.
- Wifi and all utilities are included.
- Laundry machines located in building (coin operated).
- Parking in our private lot may be available for an additional $100/month.
- We are a vegetarian, substance-free environment and require that no meat or alcohol be consumed or stored here.
- No overnight guests.
- No loud music or instruments.
- No pets.
- We ask for first month, last month, and security deposit, as well as credit and background checks.
- You must be up to date on COVID vaccinations and boosters and be willing to wear a mask indoors in common spaces.
“Nyingma Institute meets all my needs: safety, spotless, walking distance to UC Berkeley, having a community, meeting amicable people …” -M.L, visiting scholar at UCB
“The beauty of the environment, the support of staff, the pleasure of community balanced with an easy autonomy – all of these make Nyingma, for me, so much more than just a place to rent a room conveniently close to UC Berkeley campus. I experience the Nyingma environment as an oasis of beauty, calm, and mindful community. It’s a quiet refuge, a place to be replenished.” – E.G, renter
“The Institute has a long and interesting history, and there are students, residents and guests from all over the world which gives it a very international flavor. The location cannot be beat – one can walk to campus within a few minutes, walk to downtown & BART easily within 15 minutes, and even to North Berkeley BART or the gourmet ghetto for a more ambitious walk.” – A.M, renter
If you would like to learn more, please contact us regarding current availability and to arrange a tour by emailing